Forests in East Kalimantan
East Kalimantan province possesses an area of 16,732,065.18 hectare, with land area of 12,734,691.75 hectare. Based on the Land Use Plan (RTRW) of East Kalimantan, the forest area makes up to 8,380,308 hectare while the non-forestry area/areas for other purposes make up to 4,319,137 hectare. East Kalimantan possesses forest area with specific characteristic of humid tropical forest which comprised of various forest types, among others are coastal forest, low land dipterocarps forest, and mountain forests and contains of 5 ecosystems: freshwater swamp, karst, kerangas, mangrove, and peat swamp.
Based on the KPH design and post-development of province area, there are 18 KPH Production units, 2 KPH Protection units, 1 Provincial KPH Conservation unit, 1 District Conservation unit, and 5 conservation areas.
Provincial Level Forestry Plan of East Kalimantan
Provincial Level Forestry Plan (RKTP) is the plan containing instructions on macro spatial use, the potency of forest area for forestry development and non-forestry development using forest area, as well as the estimation of contribution of forestry sector in the province area for 20 years span. RKTP covers the whole aspect of forest maintenance including the forestry plan, forest management, research, development, education, training, and monitoring. Due to its long-term nature, RKTP also contains indicative macro instructions.
RKTP of East Kalimantan for 2011-2030 has been appointed through Governor Regulation of East Kalimantan in 2012. However, the progress of regional and forestry development has been very dynamic, and several policies related to spatial and forest management in general have been produced as well since then. Hence, there is a demand to synchronize and adjust the RKTP.
The underlying aspects urging the change of RKTP are elaborated as follows:
- The transition of authority in forestry sector based on UU 23/2014 on Regional Government, in which the district/municipality authority in forestry sector shifted to provincial authority;
- The establishment of North Kalimantan province based on UU 20/2012 causing the reduction on East Kalimantan province area;
- The development of National and Regional Action Plan on reducing GHG emission emphasized the contribution of forestry sector, one of which is strategy and action plan on emission reduction from forestry sector (SRAP);
- The enforcement of policy on national social forestry development and the issuance of Indicative Maps of Social Forestry Area through Decree of Minister of Environment and Forestry (SK.4865/MENLHK-PKTL/REN/PLA.0/9/2017);
- The issuance of Agrarian Reform policy due to Indicative Maps of Forest Area Allocation for Providing Land Object for Agrarian Reform (TORA) through Decree of Minister of Environment and Forestry (SK.180/MENLHK/SETJEN/ KUM.1/4/2017);
- Issuance of Peat Hydrological Unit through Decree of Minister of Environment and Forestry (SK.282/MENLHK/SETJEN/ PLA.1/6/2017);
- The appointment of land use planning of East Kalimantan province in 2016-2035 through Regional Regulation of East Kalimantan No. 1 Year 2016.
Revision of RKTP is authorized through Governor Regulation No. 55 Year 2018. The process of adjustment of RKTP is carried out by Provincial Forestry Service with support from its partners, including GIZ and Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI).
RKTP East Kalimantan is limited to the forest management in the forest area for the span of 2011 – 2030. The development of RKTP East Kalimantan is purposed to give instructions on the forest maintenance in the future, thus enabling to return the multifunction potency of forest and forest area as well as its utilization in sustainable manner for the prosperity of people in Indonesia, especially the people of East Kalimantan, and to give the real contribution in maintaining global environment.
The objectives of RKTP East Kalimantan are:
- To be one of the references for developing forestry plan in the smaller scopes, such as: Strategic Plan and Working Plan of Local Government Agencies, and Short-Term and Long-Term Forest Management Plans;
- To be one of the references of policy formulation and development programs of forestry sector in East Kalimantan; and
- To be one of the references in monitoring and assessing the effectiveness and efficiency of achieving the forestry development programs in East Kalimantan.
FORCLIME Technical Cooperation Module has actively contributed in the process of developing the revision of RKTP 2011-2030, such as in preparation (coordination meeting, discussion meeting); conducting public consultation; and providing experts (GIS experts for spatial analysis, consultant to assist the writing and editing process); facilitating the governor regulation making process; and printing the RKTP document. Furthermore, FORCLIME supports the dissemination process of RKTP-related policies such as Governor Regulation 55/2018 on the Revision of Annex for the East Kalimantan Governor Regulation 19/2012 on Provincial Level Forestry Plan of 2011-2030 to the related stakeholders.
For further information, please contact:
Suprianto, Technical Advisor for Sustainable Forest Management
Wandojo Siswanto, Strategic Area Manager for Forest Policy
Kasmiyati, Forestry Service of East Kalimantan